top of page

Flood Insurance 101

 Flood Insurance Coverage

Flooding can occur anywhere, anytime. Even if you are not required to have flood insurance, serious consideration should be given to purchasing it anyway.

Flood damage isn’t actually covered under your home policy — even in a coastal state like Florida. But you can buy a separate flood policy from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to protect your home. That way, you won't have to pay for any unexpected damage out of pocket — and you can have peace of mind knowing your property is protected. Flood insurance will cover everything from unexpected damage to your home, like siding and floors, to belongings like furniture and electronics. Make sure your policy is comprehensive and protects a wide variety of areas so, you'll be completely covered.

Florida flood insurance gives you peace of mind. When a storm rolls through or a pipe bursts, if you know you're already insured, you can rest easy. Insurance can cover damage to your property like walls and flooring, as well as your belongings such as furniture and other personal items. But it's important to know exactly what you're protected against and what liability limits you have in place.

  • Pays for damage to your home. We call this “building coverage.”

  • Pays for damage to your belongings. We call this “contents coverage.”

Because the Town of Fort Myers Beach participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, all residents and property owners qualify to apply for flood insurance.

Without flood insurance, losses must be covered out of pocket. Some limited relief might be obtainable through government aid, but government assistance is not available automatically. It is offered only when the President makes an official disaster declaration. Less than half of flooding events are “declared disasters”. Declarations require rather widespread damage. Most often, when government aid is available, it comes in the form of an interest bearing loan from the Small Business Administration.


Flood insurance is mandatory if:

  • Your property is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (the entire Town of Fort Myers Beach)

  • You have a federally backed mortgage on a home in a high risk area

  • You have received a federal grant for previous flood losses and you wish to qualify for future aid

Get a Quote
Let our agents customize a quote for your needs

Thank you! You will be contacted by a representative shortly

(239) 233-8264
bottom of page